Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Shock.

Watching one of the documentaries I was reminded of how much I hate the media coverage of shocking news events. When interviewing witnesses the reporters milk the human interest angle by asking something stupid about how it makes them feel. I wasn't surprised to hear that on 9/11 the faith of many was shaken.

A few years ago I read that the sheer horror and hopelessness of WWII turned many away from you, LORD; so I wasn't that surprised to find that 9/11 shook the confidence of many that day too. When I heard an interviewee ask, "How could God do such a thing?" I wanted to shout, "It's not true!" I know that Your integrity doesn't need defending, and surely such a question only shows an ignorance of the Old Testament. The story of Job reveals that You allow the evil one to test even Godly people with great disasters. In the case of ancient Israel You allowed them to suffer at the hand of oppressors as a wake-up call; and surely many need one today.

Sometimes it's hard to understand that You allow bad things to happen to draw Your people closer to You, and that eventually the experience will enable the victims to be a blessing to other people. The death of a loved one is a hard lesson, but when the grieving is over, we are more likely to have compassion for others who are dealing with a great loss. It's interesting to recall that Jesus is referred to as 'a man of sorrow' and as scripture tells us, as our high priest He is well acquainted with everything we may suffer. If He had to endure the trials of life, to prepare him for the earthly ministry, then why should we expect to be exempt from them?

Listening to the anguish of those who couldn't find their loved ones reminded me of the death of my firstborn. Like many that September morning, I didn't have You in my heart then, LORD. I always thought I was a Christian, but I didn't have a personal relationship with You. I had heard that we are reunited with loved ones when we die, but there was no comfort in my heart for what I had lost. Now I can appreciate Your pain as you watched Your only begotten son die; even though you knew it would mean He was coming home to be with you.

For those of us who are waiting for Your promised return, these days are looking more like signs of the times that the last days are upon us. It surprised me to read that 'the church' will be shaken; as I interact on open forums, and exercise my faith, it is surprising how many bitter scoffers used to be Christians. I even know some born-again people who got discouraged when their faith was tested, and their prayers seemed to go unheard. As it is written: "My people perish for lack of patience." Yes, we are adicted to instant gratification; I suspect this was a cause for the ancient Israelites turning to pagan gods.

Because everything we ever experience is tucked away in our memory banks, we are never free of what we heard about You, Lord. Even in my darkest days when I lived according to the ways of the world, I never gave up the hope that what I heard was not merely a myth. It usually takes some deep distress for us to appeal to Your mercy. In the chronicles of Your ancient people we see the renewal of peace and prosperity when they turned back to You. Bush's call for a national day of prayer, seemed to galvanize believers with something they could do for the families of the victims. It was very good for his image as a new President.

It was amazing to hear the stories of those who had been in the buildings, and lived to tell about it. There were also those who were supposed to be there, but for some reason were late, or somewhere else. More often than not it was Christian tv, and publications that told these tales. That surely is an example of saving grace. It blessed my heart to see the news reports of great public gathering to pray for those directly affected by the chaos created on 9/11.

No comments: